Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Week 7 Thing #16

I am very familiar with creating and using wikis with teachers and students. I love the ease of use and the collaboration that occurs so seamlessly. I have worked with teachers in all departments to use wikis in their instruction. I have used wetpaint and wikispaces. I have looked at PB Wiki. I lean towards using wikispaces even though I find the templates in wetpaint to be much more attractive.

The biggest problem with using wikis is the need to watch for the use of copyrighted materials by teachers and students on the wiki. Everyone tends to get so excited about using the wiki that they forget that they are not in a face to face classroom where fair use applies.

1 comment:

Mary Schwander said...

A very good point about copyright and wikis! With the ease of posting and sharing, I can see how rights may be abused. Thanks for bringing this up - much to think about!